Monday, December 17, 2012

Things I learned this weekend

This weekend we hosted friends we met during our first Air Force assignment in Dover, Delaware.  When we met them, we were at a stage in life where we were first married, without children, and able to spend lots of time together relatively uninhibited, which allowed us to form bonds that seem much harder to replicate at this point in our lives.  The women of this group are referred to by one of our moms as "the fab 5."  We completely agree and have adopted this nickname for ourselves.  Each year we do our best to have some sort of reunion with as many of us as possible, kids included when we can.  This year God has done some amazing things in our lives-especially the lives of one of the families in particular-and we had to get together and celebrate!  I realized as the weekend was coming to a close that I had learned some new things and was reminded of things I've known for awhile.  Here are some of them:

When you are with friends as amazing as these, funny things are funnier, food tastes better, and burdens are lighter.  I learned that Betty Crocker's gluten-free cupcakes are actually quite tasty, as is Domino's Pizza's gluten-free crust.  It's still really fun to wear matching pajamas, even in your 30s (and even if they are 3 sizes too big)!  A mother's love can transcend anything, and can come upon someone in the blink of an eye.  I realized I love and miss not just these ladies, but their families too.  I realized I see myself as more beautiful when I'm with them because I see myself in them, as they see me, as their close friend-and if they're so beautiful, I must be as well because I'm part of them.  I was reminded of how much you can love someone who isn't part of your flesh and blood family. 

More than anything, though, I was reminded of God's sovereignty and perfect timing.  He ordained our 5 families being stationed at the same time in Dover, Delaware.  He could have put us anywhere, but we were at a small base where our lives were bound to overlap.  Our husbands were all assigned to fly the same plane.  The wives were all in the same Bible study group.  We didn't have to get babysitters and fight traffic to hang out.  Four of the families lived on base, the fifth just a few miles away.  We watched out for one another, helped out when husbands were TDY and yards needed mowing or sidewalks needed to be shoveled, fed lonely spouses and took care of one anothers' pets.  These relationships were founded in our common relationships with the Lord, and we continued to cultivate them after we had moved to new bases, our husbands doing different jobs, most of us starting families and generally getting busier lives.  After 8 long years of all of us praying for one family in particular, God blessed them with a precious baby girl.  Because the rest of us have been anxiously awaiting the chance to shower them with gifts, there was no way we could pass up the opportunity to quickly plan a reunion.  God made it such that all 5 of our schedules aligned so we could be together just a week and a half before Christmas-what are the odds?!?-and meet their precious daughter.  Along with showering TJ and Michelle with gifts for their beautiful new baby Ruth, we had the opportunity to give Molly gifts for her fourth child-a girl!  After her three amazing sons, we were so excited to inundate her with pink! We also got to meet Devon's 4-month-old son, Henry, who is the sweetest little thing.  Sarah got to appreciate the fact that she doesn't have a new baby or one on the way.  And I got to heal some more after our losing a baby 19 weeks into my pregnancy just a few months ago. 

On top of all this, our 5-year-old son Charlie was able to see the fruition of his prayers and the tangible answer from God.  You see, just about 3 months ago, my 2 sons and I drove to New Jersey to visit Michelle while both our husbands were TDY.  It was such a sweet time of reunion for Michelle and me, and a chance for the boys (Charlie especially) to fall in love with Michelle the way anyone does when they meet her.  After that week, we started including Charlie in our fervent prayers that God would bless TJ and Michelle with a baby.  Within a month, they were asking us to pray that a particular birth mom would choose them to raise her child.  Within weeks of that call, they were taking that child home from the hospital.  And this weekend, Charlie got to hold that baby in his arms, and feel the presence of God's love and faithfulness.  I am so thankful for how God's plans and timing work out, and that in one single moment prayers can be answered, hopes can be fulfilled, dreams can be realized, hurts can start to heal, and children can realize the reality of His presence in their lives and the lives of others.  My husband told me after everyone had left for their separate corners of the country that at one point during the weekend Charlie said he had a secret.  He whispered to his daddy, "Every time I see Ruth I can't stop smiling."  I feel exactly the same way.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet! I cherish the time that I'm able to catch up with long lost friends now scattered across the country. I'm so glad you had this time with them. I know God used it in a special way to help stitch up your heart. Hugs, new friend.

    ReplyDelete