Wednesday, December 12, 2012


Military spouses are often considered “warriors on the homefront” or something along those lines.  I suppose it’s true-while our spouses are out fighting our country’s wars, we are at home fighting life’s battles.  Maintain the household: make sure bills are paid on time, clean the house, raise the kids; and oftentimes hold down (another) full-time job on top of all that. This is usually in a place foreign to us-whether it’s on the opposite side of the country or around the world from where we grew up, which means we don’t often have family nearby for moral support (or babysitting).  We move every few years so we learn to adapt to new surroundings, try our hardest to make new friends as quickly as possible, and rely on technology to keep us in touch with loved ones who are far away.  In this regard I’m most definitely a reluctant warrior.  I vowed I’d never marry someone in the military (never say never!) and I certainly never wish for my husband to have to leave us for any length of time, thereby making me a “homefront warrior.”

The other part of who I am the makes me a “warrior” is the fact that I’m a Bible-believing, born again Christian.  I accepted Christ into my life as my Savior at the age of 8.  I am so fortunate to have been raised by amazing, loving, Godly parents, and influenced by many other strong Christians, such as my mom’s mom (my Granny).  Ephesians 6 tells Christians to “put on the full armor of God” and how to do that.  It says that we aren’t fighting against mankind (flesh and blood) but against Satan.  While I am in no way reluctant about my faith in Christ or to admit I need Him to be saved from my sins, I confess I am sometimes reluctant to endure the pain of this life, to share the Good News with the lost, and to bear the cross of Christ.  However, it is my sincere prayer that I AM able to endure life’s hurts so that others may see the work of the Holy Spirit in me-His ability to bring joy in times of sorrow and peace in times of pain or fear; that I am willing and able to share IN LOVE the message of salvation to those who are lost, despite the cost to myself or my relationship with those people; and that I will bear the cross of Christ, no matter how heavy it may seem.  Because the Lord has promised that His “yoke is easy” and His “burden is light” (Matt. 11:30). I need simply to trade mine for His.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment