Monday, June 24, 2013

Flying in Planes with Kids

This week my mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, and 3 nephews are coming to visit.  We are so excited to have them with us, especially since this will be the first time their boys leave Texas, AND the first time they get to fly!  Since my brother and sister-in-law don't have experience flying with kids and I have more than enough to go around, I keep thinking of tips for them to make sure things go smoothly.  I have flown with my boys (but mostly without my husband) upwards of 20 times in the past 6 years so I definitely have a routine down.  I finally decided to blog about what I have learned rather than constantly texting them.  So here you go...how I like to pack and prepare to travel when flying with kids:

Before you get to the packing stage, you need to plan your trip and buy tickets.  Some people like to fly late at night in hopes their kids will sleep, but once you get there you still have to get to the hotel or house where you're staying and, in that process, disturb their sleep big time.  My preference is to fly during/around naptime.  If your kid is under age 2, he or she can ride as a lap child.  When Charlie, our first, was born, I insisted on his having a seat and dragging his car seat onto the plane.  I finally realized that a car seat wouldn't exactly save him in a plane crash, and I'd want him in my arms if something happened anyway.  If you do fly with a lap child, make sure you inform the airline ahead of time, and be prepared to show proof of their age at the ticket counter with either a copy of their birth certificate or shot record.  In a pinch, an insurance card with their birthdate works too (or it has for me).

When it comes to packing suitcases, I have a few hard and fast rules.  When I don't do these things I always regret it.  Always pack pants and long sleeves for everyone.  You never know when the weather will turn or you end up going to a restaurant that's chilly.  I almost always wear mine rather than pack them, but I'll cover that in a minute.  I always make sure to have enough diapers/Pull-ups to get us through traveling and into the next day, but I usually wait until we get to our destination to buy enough to get us through the rest of our time there.  If you're lucky like me, you'll have someone like my mom and some of my good friends who buy them in advance.  When it comes to pajamas, I pack either 2 pairs (minimum) or 1 pair and something like sweats that we can lounge in that can double as PJs.  You just never know when a diaper will leak or your kid will get sick on you!  I try to pack mix-and-match outfits for myself and my boys.  Make sure to take accessories for the weather-hats, gloves and scarves for cold or sun hats, sunglasses and sunscreen in summer.  That's about it for suitcase packing rules for me.  The actual traveling, however, is a different story...

I'm pretty picky about how I dress and pack for the plane.  I usually wear long pants or capris, and I always wear/take a zip-up hoodie.  It sounds extreme to be so particular and my mom actually laughed at me when I explained it to her, but she's never flown alone with kids so I'll forgive her for it! :)  The pants are because I tend to get cold on planes, and the zip-up sweatshirt is because it works well as a pillow or blanket, and if your child falls asleep on your lap and you start burning up, you can actually take it off (unlike with a pull-over).  I usually wear socks and tennis shoes rather than sandals or flip flops because my feet get cold and being warm and comfortable is worth the hassle of having to take your shoes off at security (in my opinion).  My bangs usually get pinned back so they aren't in my face, but I don't wear a ponytail because it just hurts to put your head back against the head rest.  I always make sure to have enough wipes and diapers and a change of clothes for the boys.  It seems all sippy cups leak, but the disposable ones aren't usually as bad on planes as ones with stoppers, and if something happens and it gets gross you can throw it away without feeling guilty.  I pack my glasses in my purse, mostly in case we get stuck somewhere on a layover or diverted due to weather.  I guess this is where my being a military pilot's wife comes out and I think about the what-ifs.  I always want to make sure we are prepared for things not going according to schedule and not having a chance to make a run to Target or Wal-Mart.  On that note, I always pack my phone charger...I always take my Kindle, but since I can read books on my iPhone I don't necessarily worry about my Kindle charger in my carry-on.  Lastly, I make sure I have my ID, cash and credit/debit card with me.  This seems obvious, but it would be terrible to show up at the airport and not being able to check in because you don't have your ID.

Things to know before flying with kids include the following:
*You can check a booster/car seat with your luggage and the airline should give you a clear plastic bag to put it in to help protect it.  You aren't allowed to put your kid in a booster seat on the plane because they aren't FAA approved. You can also purchase your own padded car seat bag.  We had one that was really nice and had padded shoulder straps so we could use it as a backpack.  It had enough room in it for us to pack a few other items as well and save suitcase space.
*When going through security, kids 12 and under don't have to take their shoes off.  Everyone has to take off jackets/sweatshirts/sweaters.  Kids about 4 or 5 and up can take responsibility for themselves at security.  Charlie (6) knows to get a bucket and put his jacket (if he has one) and anything he's carrying in it.  He has carried his own bag/backpack since he was about 2 through the airport, in which we put his nonny (taggy blanket he still sleeps with), books, and any toys, video games, or coloring items he chooses to take on the plane.  I'm pretty sure we could drop Charlie off at the airport and he could check in, get his boarding pass and check his luggage, make it through security and onto his plane all by himself.  Not only has he flown a lot, but I've taught him to pay attention at security and how to look for the right gate.
*If you are taking a stroller, you will have to take your child out of it and fold it up and place it on the conveyer belt to be x-rayed.  Some TSA agents will even make you flip it over so the wheels aren't rolling on the belt.  I'm not kidding.  Apparently they don't realize how hard it is to keep track of a 6-year-old, hold a wild toddler and carry-ons, and fold up and pick up a stroller all at the same time.
*I like to get to the airport in time to go to the bathroom once last time, purchase a drink for myself in a bottle (less likely to spill), and buy something to eat if necessary.  If it's going to be a meal-time while we're in the air, I will buy sandwiches or whatever.  If not, I make sure I have plenty of snacks (which I usually buy ahead of time).  I've learned special treats (like M&Ms for our 22-month-old, Will) doled out very slowly when he's ready to lose it on the plane tend to be very helpful. 
*Download Kindle books and movies before you get on the plane-otherwise you'll be out of luck in most instances.  Some airlines are starting to offer wi-fi, but most charge and I'm not willing to pay for it!  If your kids will wear headphones, bring them-I try not to annoy those around us with Sesame Street when possible.
*Finally, most airplanes don't have a place for you to change diapers.  I've mastered changing them in my lap.  It's not ideal and you have to be especially careful when you're sitting next to a stranger, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!  So suck it up and take care of your kid.  Try to remember to bring some bags to put dirty/wet diapers in, or ask the flight attendants.  They are usually more than happy to give you a trash bag.  Sometimes I just get one from the get-go and keep it for all our trash until the end of the flight. 

I hope this is helpful for someone out there!  My husband is an excellent dad and does his best to help when he's able to fly places with us, but ironically I find his presence more disruptive to the flow of my routine.  Of course it's more fun having him there on the plane to hold a squirmy Will, and once we get where we're going rather than having to miss having him there.  Good luck and happy travels!

What are your helpful traveling hints?

2 comments:

  1. So, I'm about to travel by airplane by myself with M. I have flown before with 1-2 kids by myself as well. The only other thing to point out is that if you are alone with a child, they will usually allow one other person to get a "gate" ticket to go with you to help! It really helps to get through security! :) I love this post...we think a lot alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that-thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete